Rev. 11 25 13
The Temple University Center for Professional Development in Career and Technical Education provides vocational teacher certification services to Career and Technical Education (CTE) teachers in eastern Pennsylvania. All CTE teachers must obtain a state-issued vocational teaching certificate.
To be eligible for the Temple Center certification program, a candidate must
- hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
- hold a US citizenship or intend to become a citizen.
- pass required background checks.
- prove relevant wage-earning experience within the past 10 years.
- attend a CTE Certification Information Session. Call 215-204-8376 for dates, times and locations.
- take the Occupational Competency Assessment (OCA).
- attend a Temple Center New Teacher Workshop in August
Program and certification requirements are subject to change. 78 credit requirement
Current Certificate information may be accessed on the PDE Website >> Certifications Following is the sequence for full vocational certification.
A teacher with the appropriate background and experience may begin teaching prior to completing all state requirements by obtaining an Emergency Permit valid for one school year. This allows teachers to formally demonstrate their expertise. Read more
Vocational Intern Certificate
To receive this certificate, prospective teachers must prove they possess technical skills and prove two years work experience in that one occupational area to teach Pennsylvania youth. This is demonstrated by passing an Occupational Competency Assessment. The Intern Certificate is valid for three calendar years. The following requirements for the Vocational I certificate must be completed during this time
- Demonstrate a minimum of 2 years wage-earning experience in the occupational area within the past 10 years
- Complete undergraduate/graduate course requirements
- Complete the state-required Praxis I in Reading and Writing
- Complete a speech assessment
- Pass a Council of Educators Review.
Vocational Instructional Certificate I
The Vocational I Certificate is valid for 6 years. The following requirements for the Vocational II certificate must be completed during this time
- Completion of three of the six years in satisfactory teaching on the Vocational I certificate, evaluated by local school administration
- Be evaluated by local school administration
- Completion of required undergraduate/ graduate course
- Completion the state-required Praxis I (PPST) in Mathematics
- Assessment through the PDE 430 review
Program and certification requirements are subject to change. Access current information on the
Pennsylvania Act 48 requirements mandate that all educators earn 180 continuing education hours or 6 college credits every five years to keep their certificate active. Those who hold the Vocational II certificate may continue with college coursework to earn the Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree that may be required for additional educational certificates.
For additional information, please contact
Ms. Nancy Johnston
1301 Cecil B. Moore Avenue
Ritter Hall Room 346,
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6091