James P. Byrnes, Ph.D.
1301 Cecil B. Moore Ave.
459 Ritter Annex,
College of Education
Philadelphia, PA 19122
phone: (215) 204-2813
- Ph.D. Temple University (Developmental Psychology)
- B.S. St. Joseph's University
- Developing a comprehensive of model of academic achievement (explaining why some children attain higher levels of achievement than others)
- Developing a comprehensive model of decision-making and risk-taking (explaining why some teens and adults take risks while other avoid risks)
- Gender and ethnic differences in achievement
- The development of mathematical expertise in children, adolescents, and adults
- Critical thinking about neuroscientific research
- Educational Psychology and Applied Developmental Science
Byrnes, J. P., & Miller, D. C. (2007). The relative importance of predictors of math and science achievement: An opportunity-propensity analysis. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 32, 599-629.
Byrnes, J. P. (2008). Cognitive development and learning in instructional contexts (3rd edition). Needham Hts, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
Byrnes, J. P. & Wasik, B. A. (2009). Language and Literacy development: What educators need to know. New York: Guilford.
Boyer, T., & Byrnes, J. P. (2009). Adolescent risk-taking: integrating personal, cognitive, and social aspects of judgment. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 30, 23-33.
Byrnes, J. P., & Wasik, B. A. (2009). Factors Predictive of Knowledge Growth in Mathematics in Kindergarters, First Graders, and third graders: An Opportunity-Propensity Analysis. Contemporary Educational Psychology. 34, 167-183
Byrnes, J. P. (2011). How Neuroscience Contributes to Our Understanding of Learning and Development in Typically Developing and Special Needs Students. In K.R. Harris, S. Graham, & T. Urdan (eds), APA Handbook on Educational Psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Bernacki, M. L., Byrnes, J. P., & Cromley, J. G. (2012). The effects of achievement goals and self-regulated learning behaviors on reading comprehension in technology-enhanced learning environments. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 37, 148-161.
Cromley, J., & Byrnes, J. P. (2012). Instruction and cognition. WIRES: Cognitive Science.
Wang, A. H.., Shen, F. & Byrnes, J. P. (2013). Does the opportunity-propensity model predict the early math skills of low-income pre-kindergarten children? Contemporary Educational Psychology, 38, 259-270.
Byrnes, J. P., & Dunbar, K. N. (2014). The nature and development of critical analytical thinking, Educational Psychology Review, 26, 477-493.
Byrnes J.P. & Vu, L. (2015). Educational neuroscience: Definitional, methodological, and interpretive issues. Cognitive Science WIRES.