21 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About the College of Education
The College of Education has a rich history and has been an inseparable part of Temple University for nearly 100 years. The College of Education has also maintained a historic relationship with the School District of Philadelphia. In honor of Welcome Week, below are 21 facts you probably didn’t know about the College of Education.
1. The College of Education has had three different names throughout its history.
The college was first named the Department of Pedagogy in 1902. After seventeen years, it was renamed Temple Teacher’s College in 1919. Since 1960, the College of Education has used the name for which it is known today.
2. Nursing, Social Work and Kinesiology were former departments of the College of Education.
At the time, the academic departments in the College of Education enrolled an estimated 8,000 to 9,000 students.
3. Education courses at Temple University date back to 1894.
“Kindergarten Theory” was the first course offered in Teacher Education.
4. Room 106 in Ritter Hall was first used as an observation room.
The classroom’s unusual layout was designed to observe a kindergarten class. The room was equipped with an observation glass separating the classroom from the observation booth, along with two bathrooms.
5. Educational Media was a department.
This department focused on merging education with television. Although it is no longer an academic department, its model is still used today in television programming such as PBS.
6. The ninth floor of Ritter Annex was once used as a computer lab.
This lab was widely used by faculty before desktop computers were installed in classrooms.
7. Mitten Hall was once where students would sign up for courses.
If you think it is stressful waking up to sign up for classes at 7:00 a.m. on TUportal, imagine waiting in a line that wrapped down the steps of Mitten Hall and down a block on Broad Street.
8. There was a working television station in Ritter Hall.
The television station was located in the lower floor.
9. Between 1894-1964, education courses were held in Cornell and Carnell Halls Courses were held in rowhouses as well.
Prior to the completion of Ritter Hall in 1965, the college struggled to find space for its rapidly growing programs.
10. More than 700 Temple alumni work for the School District of Philadelphia.
The College of Education is among the largest providers of teachers to the School District of Philadelphia.
11. The College of Education has maintained a historic relationship with the School District of Philadelphia since 1901.
The School District of Philadelphia asked for Dean Laura Carnell to agree to offer afternoon and Saturday classes to prospective and current Philadelphia school teachers. And thus began a longstanding and mutually beneficial relationship.
12. Ritter Hall is named after Rolland Ritter.
Rolland Ritter was a university trustee who made generous donations that greatly contributed to the development of Ritter Hall.
13. Parts of Ritter Hall are dedicated to the first three deans of Education.
George E. Walk Auditorium, J. Conrad Seegers Student Lounge, and P. Wallion Zahn Instrumental Media Center are crucial spaces within Ritter Hall. These amenities largely contribute to students’ academics and social life.
14. The College of Education was the largest school of education in the metropolitan area and the largest in the state and country.
When Temple University became a state-related institution in 1965, the college’s faculty grew from 65 to approximately 230.
15. The College of Education has had 10 deans.
The deans include Walk, Seegers, Zahn, Eberman, Rosner, Scribner, Englert, Sewell, McGuire and Anderson. The acting deans include Betterweck, Kress, DuCette and Davis.
16. The college currently has 59 full-time faculty.
Among the full-time faculty, 11 are Temple alumni.
17. Ritter Hall Annex was added in 1974.
The extension to Ritter Hall was created to accommodate space for the College of Education and the School of Social Administration, now the School of Social Work.
18. Ritter Hall opened to students in the fall of 1965.
The grand opening included a five-day ceremony with conferences in which educators from around the nation took part in the festivities.
19. 20 College of Education staff and faculty are safe zoned certified
Safe Zone is a two-part workshop designed to promote inclusivity of the LGBTQIA+ community within Temple University. The college is proud that its staff and faculty take their personal time to become an allie to students to help them feel at home at the College of Education.
20. The College of Education was founded in 1919.
Laura Carnell was instrumental during the College of Education’s early years by founding the Department of Pedagogy as well as The Teacher’s College.
21. The College of Education has over 2,000 students.
To all of our new and returning students, welcome home.
- Breanna Pegula
The above facts derive from Temple University: 125 Years of Service to Philadelphia, the Nation, and the World (Hilty, 2010) as well as Temple University: Faculty Herald. Volume 44 Number 2.