The Pennsylvania State Department of Education passed regulations for teacher education in October 2000. The regulations specify that applicants to education programs "may not be formally admitted to an initial professional educator program before completion of 48 semester credit hours."
What this means for College of Education Undergraduate students is that while you have been admitted to Temple University and the College of Education; however, Pennsylvania law mandates that students must also be admitted into the Teacher Certification Program. At Temple, this process is referred to as "Candidacy." Advancing to candidacy is a process that is required to progress into the latter stages of your program. No student can continue into upper level teaching methods courses without being approved for Candidacy.
REQUIREMENTS to Apply for Candidacy
To be approved for Candidacy, students must have all of the following:
- Earned at least 48 credits, 12 of which must be completed at Temple University
- Earned a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Completed all pre-Candidacy courses as stipulated on the Candidacy Application (found in the Undergraduate Community in Blackboard and also noted on your curriculum sheet. (At the time of application, some of these courses may be "In Progress" meaning you are currently enrolled in those courses; this is acceptable and you should submit your application.)
Either qualifying SAT or ACT scores OR earned passing scores in all three sections - reading, writing and math - of the basic skill assessment exams (PAPA or Praxis Core).
* Please consult the Teacher Certification Exams page for details about the changes to the Basic Skills assessments.*
- Secured all four clearances. Clearances must be current and valid for the entire duration of the next semester (the semester during which you are taking your first methods courses). After securing their clearances, students must verify all four clearances are valid, by:
- Completed six credits of college‐level math and six credits of college‐level English (composition and literature).
- Completed a speech assessment. This assessment will be done when you meet with an Academic Advisor to submit your Candidacy application.
WHAT IF I do Not Have All of the Above Requirements Complete?
Students should read the section below called "WHEN do I Apply for Candidacy?" and should review their curriculum sheet to know when they should apply for Candidacy. If you conclude you are a student who should be applying for Candidacy, but you do not have ALL requirements as listed above completed, please complete a Candidacy Application and make an appointment with an Academic Advisor to submit your application. (Call 215-204-8011 to schedule this "Candidacy Appointment".) The Academic Advisor with whom you meet will consult with you about your status and advise you as to next steps.
WHEN do I Apply for Candidacy?
Students apply for Candidacy the semester before they take their FIRST teaching methods course(s). Any student not sure whether he/she should be applying for Candidacy should make an appointment with an Academic Advisor (call 215-204-8011).
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) students: Apply when they are enrolled in ECE 2105, 2106, 2108 and 2187. ECE students must apply and be approved for Candidacy before they can take ECE 3106, 3107, 3108, 3109, 3187.
- Middle Grades (MGRE) students: Apply when you are taking courses that are listed as second (spring) semester sophomore courses - these vary according to which concentration students are taking within MGRE. MGRE students must apply and be approved for Candidacy before they can take MGRE 3109 or MGRE 3111.
Secondary Education (Sec Ed) students: When to apply varies according to which major students are within Sec Ed.
- Sec Ed English: students must apply and be approved for Candidacy before they can take ENES 4366, ENES 4371 and ENES 3338.
- Sec Ed Mathematics: students must apply and be approved for Candidacy before they can take Math Ed 3145, Math Ed 4146 or ENED 3338.
- Sec Ed Science: students must apply and be approved for Candidacy before they can take ENES 3338, SCI ED 3146 or SCI ED 4146.
- Sec Ed Social Studies: students must apply and be approved for Candidacy before they can take SS ED 3278, ENES 3338, SS ED 4278 or SEC ED 3796.
- Sec Ed World Languages: students must apply and be approved for Candidacy before they can take ENES 3338 or FLED 5429.
HOW do I Apply for Candidacy?
Candidacy Applications and deadline information can be found on the Undergraduate Community in Blackboard (under "My Organizations". Students should also check their Temple email accounts for updates, information and deadlines.
To submit a Candidacy Application, students must
- print the application,
- gather necessary supporting materials, and
- schedule an appointment to meet with an Academic Advisor before the stated deadline.
Students who submit a Candidacy application after the stated deadline risk not being able to register during the Priority Registration period.