To qualify for a Pennsylvania Certificate you must:
- Complete an approved education preparation program at the Bachelors, Graduate or Post Baccalaureate level in your subject area.
- Meet all Certification Testing requirements established by the PA State Board of Education.
Meet all other requirements established by the PA Code of Professional Practice and Conduct for Educators.
- Receive the recommendation of your preparing college/university.
- Currently, applicants for Pennsylvania teacher certification must be:
a US Citizen
- hold a valid immigrant visa, known as a Green Card. A Green Card grants the owner “Resident Alien” status with permanent permission to live and work in the US.
Getting Certified in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:
- A state-approved teacher preparation program that included a student teaching experience;
- Meet all test requirements for area of certification.
Additional information regarding certification is available at the Pennsylvania Department of Education website (click on Certification on the left-side menu).
Temple University undergraduate and graduate students with questions about certification should contact Ms. Linda Jones at (215) 204-8011.
Special Note: Change in Application Process (2012)
The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) requires that all applications for credentials be completed and submitted online via the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS): PA-TIMS.com. For more information and assistance, please visit: PA Teacher Certification Systems - TIMS