Edward Fergus, Ph.D.
Policy, Organizational, & Leadership Studies
Areas of Professional Interest
- Theory and practice of youth development programming
- Program evaluation and needs assessment
- Community and school partnerships
- Adaptation processes of immigrant youth
- Academic resilience
- Race/ethnic identity formation
- Qualitative research methods
Fergus, E. (2016) Solving Disproportionality and Achieving Equity: A Leader’s Guide to Using Data to Change Hearts and Minds. California: Corwin Press.
Fergus, E., Noguera, P. and Martin, M. (2014). Schooling for Resilience: Improving the Life Trajectory of Black and Latino Boys. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press.
Noguera, P., Hurtado, A., and E. Fergus. (Editors). (2011). Invisible No More: Understanding the Disenfranchisement of Latino Boys and Men. New York: Routledge Press.
- Fergus, E. (2004). Skin Color and Identity Formation: Perceptions of Opportunity and Academic Orientation among Mexican and Puerto Rican Youth. New York: Routledge Press.
Kramarczuk-Voulgarides, C., Fergus, E., and King, K.T. (In Press). Racial Disparities in Special Education, Interdisciplinary Critiques and Re-Framing. Review of Research in Education, Vol 41, 2017.
Fergus, E. (2016). Because I’m Light Skin…They think I’m Italian: Mexican Students Experiences in Predominantly White High Schools. Urban Education journal
Fergus, E. (2016). Understanding Latino Student Racial and Ethnic Identification: Theories of Race and Ethnicity. Theory into Practice.
Ahram, R., Fergus, E., and P. Noguera (2011). Addressing Racial/Ethnic Disproportionality in Special Education: Case Studies of Suburban School Districts. Teachers College Record
Martin, M., Fergus, E., and P. Noguera (2010). Responding to the needs of the whole child: A case study of a high performing elementary school for immigrant children. Reading Writing Quarterly
- Fergus, E. (2009). “Understanding Latino Students’ Schooling Experiences: The Relevance of Skin color Among Mexican and Puerto Rican High School Students.” Teachers College Record. Volume 111 Number 2.
State-Level Policy Publications
Fergus, E. (2011). Disproportionality Technical Assistance Plan for California Department of Education. Retrieved from: http://spptap.org/cde-guidance/
Fergus, E. (2010). “Common Causes of Disproportionality”. California Department of Education Special Education Newsletter.
- Fergus, E. (2006). “Addressing Disproportionality through Technical Assistance.” Counterpoint, Washington, D.C.: National Association of State Directors of Special Education (NASDSE).