Jill Swavely, Ed.D.
Ritter Hall 461
1301 Cecil B. Moore Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6091
phone: (215) 204-6120
- Ed.D. Curriculum, Instruction and Technology in Education/TESOL, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- M.Ed, Secondary English Education, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.A.,Journalism. Minor: Communications, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA
- Pennsylvania Instructional I Certification: English, 7-12
- American Association for Applied Linguistics
- American Educational Researchers Association
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Teachers of English to Speakers ofOther Languages
Jill Swavely is professor of instruction in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Her current research interests involve the study of teacher preparation for teaching literacy to English learners in secondary school content areas. She has also done research in the area of second language writing for both K-12 and college-level English learners. As Coordinator of Temple’s ESL Certificate Program, her teaching interests involve designing and teaching courses in this program that prepare teachers for designing instruction, assessments and curricula that effectively address the needs of K-12 English learners. She is Co-PI of a five-year, $2.7 million, Department of Education National Professional Development Grant titled “Transforming School L.I.F.E. (Leadership, Instruction and Family Engagement) for English learners” Through this project she is providing professional development to teachers and administrators in selected School District of Philadelphia high schools. As part of this professional development, school faculty, staff and administrators will not only improve the educational experiences of their English learners, but also will improve their relationships with these students’ families and communities.