Special Education

Autism Endorsement FAQ

Who is eligible to enter the Temple Autism Endorsement Graduate Certificate program?

Anyone with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education is eligible to enter the program.  The program is designed to provide specialized training to teachers of students with autism spectrum disorders. 

What are the admissions requirements?

We require students to submit official transcripts, a statement of goals, two letters of reference, and a professional resume for admission (see admissions requirements). A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required for admission. Each application will be individually evaluated for suitability with the program’s goals and requirements.

What do I get if I complete the program?

If you complete the program, you will receive a graduate certificate from Temple University that will appear on your transcript. You will also be eligible for the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Autism Endorsement Certificate if you already have an existing Level I or Level II Certificate.

How many courses do I have to take to complete the program?

You must take four 3 credit courses to complete the program: SPED 5109 - Classroom Management and PBS, SPED 5301 - Building Communication in ASD, SPED 5302 - Teaching Students with ASD, and SPED 9287: Practicum.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Students can complete the program in one year by taking two courses in the fall and two courses in the spring.

Can I complete the program in one semester?

No. The program cannot be completed in less than two semesters. Full-time enrollment is not permitted.

Do I take the courses in a specific sequence?

Technically, no, but based upon our typical schedule of course offerings we highly recommend that students take SPED 5109 and SPED 5301 in the fall, and SPED 5302 and SPED 9287 in the spring. While we encourage students to complete SPED 9287, practicum, in the spring semester, students may be eligible to complete the practicum in fall and summer semesters. Please consult your adviser.

How does the practicum work?

For students who are not currently working in an instructional setting with students with autism, the College of Education’s field experience office will assist you in finding a practicum placement. For students who are currently working in an approved setting with students with autism, the College of Education will provide university supervision. Please consult your adviser for details including number of required hours, frequency of supervision, and assignments.