The Temple University Upward Bound Program will prepare Philadelphia Public and Charter High School students for admission to institutions for higher learning and success in the collegiate environment through intense academic enrichment, a summer college immersion experience, enhanced cognitive and critical thinking, and extensive interpersonal development through positive social interactions. The programs will enable students to set attainable goals and build self awareness, respect for diversity and healthy relationships with peers, staff, and professionals from industry and the community.
What is Upward Bound (UB)?
Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Upward Bound is a year-round College Preparatory Program for motivated high school students attending public or charter schools in Philadelphia that:
- Promotes and enables academic excellence
- Exposes students to colleges and career awareness
- Develops leadership skills
- Provides students with a six-week summer residential college experience
- Encourages positive social interactions with peers and authority figures
Upward Bound offers extensive support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their high school courses and co-curricular activities, and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. UB serves high school students from low-income families and/or from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. Students must have an interest in enrolling in college. The goal of UB is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Upward Bound has been highly successful in achieving its mission of preparing and graduating future college scholars.
- Instruction fundamental courses (e.g. math, science, composition, foreign language, reading, writing, study skills) and other subjects necessary for academic success
- Academic, financial, and personal counseling
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Tutorial and mentoring services
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on the full range of Federal Student Financial Aid programs and benefits
- Access to and preparation for internship
- A six week summer program
- College visits
- Personal, career, and skill development sessions
*Applications are currently being accepted for new 9th and 10th grade participants for both programs at Temple: Upward Bound and Math/Science Upward Bound.*
The Upward Bound application can be found here.
The Math/Science Upward Bound application can be found here.
Those interested in starting with the program in January 2017 should submit applications by the extended deadline of December 16, 2016.