About GEAR UP Coaches
GEAR UP coaches are the core of the GEAR UP program. They are the driving force in preparing Philadelphia students for post-secondary opportunities through academic support and mentorship. These are students from the Temple community with a special interest in social justice and urban education who believe in equal education access for all.
Our coaches’ passion for youth development and academic success is the momentum the GEAR UP program. Partnering with the School District of Philadelphia teachers and administrators, our coaches are able to create actions plans for each student based on their needs. They work alongside teachers to best support the individual and classroom needs in the high school core subjects, specifically English and Math.
There are also opportunites to design specialized on campus workshops, join our college experience field trips, and plan parent engagement events.
Become a GEAR UP Coach
If you are interested in becoming a GEAR UP coach, please see the following requirements:
- Good standing academically, 3.0 GPA or better
- Community Service and/or Service Learning Experience
- Interest in working with Philadelphia students
- Willingness to develop relationships with Philadelphia community
- Ability to commit a minimum of 2 hours per week to the assigned school
- Complete Pennsylvania clearance volunteer requirements
New Coach Application
Complete the New Coach Application
Coach Renewal Form
Complete the Coach Renewal Form.
The Intergenerational Center at Temple University
1301 Cecil B. Moore Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19122