Ready to pursue your dreams after high school?
The Temple University GEAR UP programs provides academic success and college exploration for students and families in our partner schools. Last year, we served many middle and high school students and collaborated with numerous Temple University students and staff to bring university resources to schools. GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federal program to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post-secondary education. Temple’s role is to aid in this process by raising academic achievement, parent involvement, and exposure to college and other post-secondary option.
We currently partner in two GEAR UP grants, one with the School District of Philadelphia and one with the Norristown Area School District.
- The School District of Philadelphia GEAR UP program partners with several organizations and universities to provide college awareness and readiness support to students and families. PHENND is one of those partner organizations. Temple University is one of several campuses providing GEAR UP services to students and families through the PHENND collaboration.
- The Norristown Area School District GEAR UP program partners with several organizations and universities to provide post-secondary awareness and readiness support to students and families. Temple University is a primary higher education institution providing services to students and families through this collaboration.
- College Preparation
- Family Engagement
What We Do
For the last five years, numerous Temple undergrads have served as GEAR UP Coaches in our partner high schools, focusing on math and literacy achievement. Most coaches serve during the school day, working with teachers in their classrooms, in small group tutoring, or individual tutoring. They may also serve during after school programs, helping with homework, specific curricula, or getting to know the high school students.
We also enhanced college visits for our partner schools. Past enrichment activities have included a hands-on visit to the student radio station, participating in mini-courses with Temple professors, and a customized exploration of the Temple University Urban Archives.
GEAR UP partners with Temple faculty to develop workshops for our partner schools to enhance academic understanding and to spark future interest and engagement. Students have the opportunity to explore careers and educational pathways related to the research areas of our Temple faculty.
GEAR UP believes in the power of Parents as Equal Partners in the academic and post-secondary success for our youth. We bring families together to create a college-going culture in our community. Our goal is to help families support their young scholars through resources and information about post-secondary options and next steps to prepare both academically and financially.
GEAR UP Coaches
Temple University students serve as GEAR UP Coaches each semester. Students from a wide variety of academic and socio-economic backgrounds comprise our Coaching pool, participating as volunteers and service-learning students. Whether placed in a school classroom, after-school program, or as a tutor for small groups, each coach makes a difference by helping District students with academic achievement and by introducing students to real life college experience.
Learn more about becoming a GEAR UP coach
Our Philadelphia Schools
- Benjamin Franklin High School
- Kensington High School
- Kensington High School for the Creative and Performing Arts
- Edison High School
- Frankford High School
- Penn Treaty High School
Our Norristown Schools
- East Norriton Middle School
- Stewart Middle School
- Eisenhower Science & Technology Leadership Academy
- Become a GEAR UP Coach
- Become a Faculty or Community Partner
News and Events
- Follow us on Social Media
- Temple Partners in $29 Million GEAR UP Grant For College Readiness