The Temple University Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math & Science Programs will prepare Philadelphia Public and Charter High School students for admission to institutions for higher learning and success in the collegiate environment through intense academic enrichment, a summer college immersion experience, enhanced cognitive and critical thinking, and extensive interpersonal development through positive social interactions. The programs will enable students to set attainable goals and build self awareness, respect for diversity and healthy relationships with peers, staff, and professionals from industry and the community.
What are Upward Bound (UB) and Upward Bound Math & Science (UBMS)?
Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math & Science are year-round College Preparatory Programs for motivated high school students attending public or charter schools in Philadelphia that:
- Promote and enable academic excellence
- Expose students to colleges and career awareness
- Develop leadership skills
- Provide students with a six-week summer college academic experience
- Encourage positive social interactions with peers and authority figures
Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math & Science offer extensive support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The programs provide opportunities for participants to succeed in their high school courses and co-curricular activities, and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. UB and UBMS serve high school students from low-income families and/or from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. Students must have an interest in enrolling in college. The goal of UB and UBMS is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education. Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math and Science have been highly successful in achieving their mission of preparing and graduating future college scholars.
Temple Upward Bound has a "civic engagement" focus and supports students to enter any college major.
Temple Upward Bound Math & Science has a "math and science" focus so as to prepare students interested in college majors and careers in math and/or science fields.
- Instruction fundamental courses (e.g. math, science, composition, foreign language, reading, writing, study skills) and other subjects necessary for academic success
- Academic, financial, and personal counseling
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Tutorial and mentoring services
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Information on the full range of Federal Student Financial Aid programs and benefits
- Access to and preparation for internship
- A six week summer program
- College visits
- Personal, career, and skill development sessions
Explore our Frequently Asked Questions
As of February 12, 2019 applications will be accepted from 9th and 10th grade students for a Summer 2019 start in both the Temple Upward Bound and Temple Upward Bound Math & Science programs.
Applications will also be accepted beginning February 12, 2019 from 8th grade students (rising 9th graders) for a Fall 2019 start in both the Temple Upward Bound and Temple Upward Bound Math & Science programs.
All applicants should use the online application form to apply. The application deadline for 8th, 9th, and 10th grade applicants is March 26, 2019.
If you have questions about the application or the programs, please call 215-204-3636 or email email@example.com.