The PhD student would typically be a person who is:
- anticipating a faculty career or an area of practice which demands research expertise.
- excited by theory and conceptual analysis.
- tending toward research and has potential for primarily advancing the theory in the field rather than implementing its practice.
An EdD student would typically be a person who is:
- planning on working in the field primarily as a practitioner.
- especially interested in developing new technological capabilities.
- interested in research which tends to emphasize development, evaluation, or field based projects.