Apply to Upward Bound Online
The Temple Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math & Science programs accepts applications on a rolling basis from students currently in the 9th or 10th grade who attend Philadelphia public district or charter high schools. Priority acceptance is given to students attending the following schools:
- Benjamin Franklin High School
- Murrell Dobbins Career and Technical Education High School
- Simon Gratz High School Mastery Charter
- Strawberry Mansion High School
- The U School
The application deadline for students wishing to attend the 2023 summer program is Wednesday, May 31st. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so apply early!
The application process includes:
- Submission of an online application (linked below),
- Submission of various eligibility documents (i.e. report card, PSSA Test scores income verification, etc.), and
- Participation in a virtual interview with program staff
Applicants who meet program eligibility requirements will be invited to participate in a virtual interview with members of the UB and UBMS program staff. Students accepted into either Temple UB or UBMS will begin in that program as soon as they and their parents/guardians have attended a mandatory orientation session.
Upon acceptance into either the Temple UB or UBMS program, students are expected to participate in year-round programming through the remainder of their high school years. Please note: These programs are only able to serve Philadelphia public district, charter, and cyber school students. We may not accept students attending private or parochial schools or schools outside of the city of Philadelphia. Applicants must also be in the 9th or 10th grade upon their entry into the program.
The Application Process
- Completion of the application may take up to 60 minutes.
- You should complete all sections of the application, including the names and emails of teachers who will be contacted for a recommendation.
- Please select "SUBMIT" only when you have completed all sections of the application.
- You will receive an email within 72 hours of your submission of your application with instructions about submitting the required supporting documents.
- Once all supporting documentation is received, if you are eligible to enroll in the program, you will be contacted to schedule an interview with program staff
Preparing to Apply
To complete and successfully submit your application, you will need:
- Demographic information about your parent(s)/guardian(s), including information about their education
- The names and email addresses of the three people who will serve as your “references” (the Math, English and Science teachers of your choice)
- Following submission of this online application, applicants should immediately submit their supporting documentation. This documentation includes:
- A copy of your high school transcript (not report card/grade report), including attendance information.
- A copy of your latest report card/grade report if those grades are not included on your transcript.
- A copy of your most recent PSSA test scores.
- A copy of the page(s) from your family’s last Federal Income Tax Return which documents your family’s taxable income. If your family did not file a Federal Income Tax Return this past year, please provide copies of official forms which document the source and amount of your family’s non-taxable income (benefits statement, etc.).
- A copy of your application for citizenship if you are not currently a U.S. citizen.
- A signed (real-life signature, not digital signature) and fully completed copy of our Income Verification Form (sent to you after your application is received).
- Recommendations from at least 2 of your core subject teachers (emails with forms will be sent to them separately by our office).
If you have any questions or concerns about the application, please contact the Temple Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math & Science programs’ office at (215) 204-3636 or by email at email@example.com