The master's program in Educational Leadership prepares professionals for leadership positions in the direction and management of K-12 schools and higher education. The program offers preparation for the roles of principal, business administrator, and other administrative positions in schools, school districts, colleges, and universities. This degree, considered the initial preparation for an administrative career, offers three strands: General Administration, Higher Education Administration, and School Business Management.
The program requires successful completion of 30 credit hours and a comprehensive examination (students who maintain a grade point average of 3.5 or higher may apply for a waiver from the examination). All requirements must be completed within four years of admission. As many as nine credits may be earned at Temple prior to acceptance and applied to the MEd program; up to six credits may be transferred from another institution, provided they were completed with a grade of B or better and within three years of admission.
Required Core Courses
- ED ADM 5505 – Introduction to Educational Leadership and Supervision (3 cr.)
- ED ADM 5503 – The Principalship (3 cr.) or
- ED ADM 8787 – Adm of Higher Educ. (Higher Education majors) (3 cr.)
- ED ADM 5513 – Supervision (3 cr.)
- ED 5101 – Critical Understanding of Social Science Research (3 cr.)
- ED ADM 5715 – Instructional Leadership (3 cr.)
- Elective – (3 cr.)
For admissions consideration, applicants should submit:
- Graduate School Application
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all accredited institutions attended.
- Statement of Goals which outlines your reason for seeking a master's degree with a specific focus on the career to which you aspire; your interests; and your academic and job-related experiences that are relevant to the program.
- Two Letters of Reference submitted by standard mail [pdf]. Letters of Reference should be obtained from those who can provide insight into the applicant's academic competence such as college/university faculty.
- Professional resume
The above documents should be mailed to the following address:
Temple University College of Education
Office of Enrollment Management
Ritter Annex 150
1301 Cecil B. Moore Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19122-6091
In addition, international applicants should submit:
- Official document that validates completion and conferral of a degree, diploma, and/or certificate. While not required, applicants are encouraged to submit transcript(s) to the World Education Services (WES) for evaluation.
- Official TOEFL exam scores if a non-native speaker of English.
For more information on how to apply for admission, contact the Office of Enrollment Management at (215) 204-0999 or firstname.lastname@example.org.