What are the general requirements for acceptance to the School Psychology EdS and PhD programs at Temple University?
Admission to the School Psychology Program is generally quite competitive, the minimum requirements are for the current admission cycle:

  • Minimum undergraduate GPA for admission in 3.0.
  • Admission to the School Psychology Program is generally quite competitive, so the above minimum score is generally NOT sufficient to ensure admission, especially for the PhD program.
  • Prerequisite courses that cover an introduction to psychology, development, learning and statistics to provide a base of knowledge.
  • Minimum TOEFL score for admission is 230 (computer) or 575 (paper).
  • Transfer credits: Up to 30 semester hours of advanced standing into either program if you have a master's degree. Coursework should generally have been taken within the last five years.
  • Commitment to social justice.
  • GRE scores: The test must have been taken within five years of the application date. Your official scores should be sent directly from the Educational Testing Agency. The institutional code for Temple is 2906. 

What if I do not meet the above minimum criteria?

You will have to go through an alternative admissions process, which is designed to justify why a student with scores below the minimum should be admitted. We take a holistic approach and review GRE scores, undergraduate and graduate GPA, prior relevant work and internship experiences, recommendations, essays, and interview. PhD applicants are also evaluated on research interests and accomplishments. Exceptionally strong performance in one area may offset another.

What if I already have a master's degree in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, social work, or other related area, and I want to transfer credits?

The Graduate School establishes the maximum credits that can be transferred. You can transfer up to 30 semester hours from a prior master's degree toward the EdS or the PhD However, if you do not come from a school psychology program, many of your courses may not count toward our requirements. If you enter the PhD program with a specialist-level degree, you will be credited for courses taken relatively recently and updated training, but you will still be required to complete the university minimum credits for a PhD to graduate.

Anything else I should know about transferring courses?

If a course has been taken to satisfy degree program requirements elsewhere (i.e., you took the class as part of another master's degree), the course CANNOT be transferred in toward a second master's degree. However, we may substitute a more advanced course so that you will not have to repeat the same course.

What courses can I transfer that meet the program requirements?

First, compare the courses that you have taken at the graduate level with those in our graduate catalog, which is available online. If you took them more than five years ago, you will have to demonstrate that you have kept current in the field. We do not evaluate course equivalencies prior to admission, but in general, we consider when you took it, where you took it, and how much you know about the current course material.

What if I was not a psychology major?

We prefer applicants to have been psychology majors or minors. However, as long as you have taken the prerequisite courses, a different major should not hold you back.

What if I have not taken the prerequisite courses?

You may still be admitted, but you are required to complete the prerequisite courses no later than the end of your first semester. Some courses may be completed by taking an equivalency exam. Discuss this with your adviser.

What if I am admitted and want to defer admission?

If you are admitted and wish to defer admission for a year, you should request this in writing to educate@temple.edu.  While deferments may be granted, doing so may have ramifications for our enrollments, course sizes, etc. Therefore, you must make a strong case for why a deferment is appropriate.

What financial support is available?

Students applying for the EdS and PhD programs are encouraged to seek financial aid through the University and to apply for assistantships, academic intern positions, and student worker positions. Information about financial aid is available on the Temple website. The School Psychology Program has very few assistantship positions available, but our students have been competitive for positions elsewhere in the college and university.

For PhD students, beginning in Fall 2020, the College of Education and Human Development committed to equitable funding of all newly admitted, full-time PhD students through college and faculty grant funds. This universal funding package provides 4 years of 12-month graduate teaching and/or research assistantships that includes a stipend plus tuition coverage for 20 hours of work per week. Particular teaching and/or research assignments are made centrally through the CEHD Dean’s office each semester or year. These packages are available only to full-time PhD students in the College of Education and Human Development. 

How much time do I have to finish the program?

Four years for EdS students; seven years for PhD students.

Extensions of time can be granted for one year for the EdS program (up to five years) and up to three years for the PhD program (up to ten years). However, the faculty and the graduate school have to approve the request and may deny an extension if you are not making adequate progress toward a degree.

What is the rule on Leaves of Absence?

EdS students can get up to two semesters of leave; PhD students can get up to four semesters. A leave does not stop the clock, so you still have to finish within the above limits. There is an online form to request a leave, and there is an application fee.

What is the rule on continuous enrollment?

Students must be continuously enrolled (taking at least one semester hour of coursework or having an approved leave of absence) for the Fall and Spring semesters from when they matriculate until they graduate.

What constitutes full-time status?

Full time is defined as nine semester hours in a given semester. Students who are on a full-time internship, or are working on a thesis or dissertation, can be considered full time even with fewer semester hours. Ph.D. students can have up to six semesters of full-time dissertation work.

Can I attend the program part-time and continue to work?

Although we allow part-time students, we utilize a cohort model that includes field placements each year in the program. Additionally, many of our classes are offered only during the day. You cannot complete either program completely in the evening and weekends. In addition, PhD students must have one residency year in which they are enrolled full time (nine semester hours) both fall and spring.