Any person assigned to teach an approved secondary career and technical education program must hold a valid Pennsylvania teaching certificate issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). An Emergency Permit is only issued in special circumstances, such as when no properly certified teachers are available or for a short-term vacancy of an existing position.  Emergency Permits are valid for one school (academic) year. For example, a certificate issued in November or May will expire on June 30 of the same school or academic year. The candidate's school entity initiates the application for the Career & Technical Education Emergency Permit and sends the request to Temple University for endorsement.


An emergency permit is issued by PDE upon the request of the employing public school entity when a position has been advertised and no fully qualified and properly certificated applicant is available.  The candidate for an emergency permit must have at least two years (4,000 hours) of recent and paid work experience in the vocation, and must meet all other eligibility requirements.

The emergency permit may be requested for an individual to serve in a vacant position or as a long-term or day-to-day substitute.  The permit is valid from the first day of the month of issuance until the last day of summer school in that school year and may be reissued in subsequent years upon the submission of the appropriate application to the Department from the public school entity and completion of conditions set by the Department.

The mechanism for requesting an Emergency Permit is PDE's Teacher Information Management System (TIMS). The candidate's school entity initiates the process for the Career & Technical Education Emergency Permit. Detailed information about the application process and requirements for the issuance of emergency permits are found online under the PDE Certification and Staffing Policy Guidelines Number 25 (CSPG 25): Career & Technical Education Emergency Permits [pdf].

Contact Information

About Content on This Page

You will need a PDF viewer or the appropriate version of Adobe® Acrobat® Reader to view, navigate, and print PDF files. For more assistance, see About this Web Site.