International students are a vital part of Temple University's intellectual and cultural community. Below are resources that you may need during the admissions process.

Applying for Admission

You’re considered an international student if you hold, or will need to obtain, a non-immigrant visa, including a student visa (F-1), or an exchange visitor visa (J-1). 

In addition to the specific admission requirements of your intended academic program, international applicants should also submit:

  • Official document that validates completion and conferral of a degree, diploma, and/or certificate. While not required, applicants are encouraged to submit transcript(s) to any NACES approved translation and evaluation service to obtain a course-by-course evaluation. Official translations and evaluations should be sent directly to the College of Education and Human Development from the service.
  • Transcripts from international institutions can be mailed or emailed to from one of the following departments: Office of the Registrar or Department of Student Services; or the Office of Academic Records. All transcripts must be verified by Enrollment Management. 
  • Please submit one of the following English language standardized test scores (passing scores listed below): 

For More Information

The Graduate School at Temple University provides a comprehensive resource guide which includes information about specific requirements that may be needed to complete your application for admission.

Submitting Your Application Documents

To expedite the application process, many of your supporting documents may be sent electronically to Temple. Learn more about how to submit your supplemental materials.

Exam Results

If your intended program requires a standardized test (e.g., graduate admissions or English language proficiency), submit your scores electronically using the corresponding codes below.

  • GRE: 2906
  • MAT: 1666
  • Praxis: 2906
  • TOEFL: 2906
  • Duolingo: Add Temple University Graduate School to submit your scores.
  • IELTS: Add Temple University Graduate School to submit your scores.

English Language Exam Waivers

If you have earned a bachelor's or graduate (master's or doctoral) degree from a U.S. institution, you are not required to submit exam results from TOEFL or IELTS. The English language exam requirement is waived only after an official transcript from an institution in the United States that verifies a degree has been conferred is received. Applicants must contact the Office of Enrollment Management to verify degree conferral and to waive the English language exam requirement.

Exam results are required if you were not born on American soil and were educated at an institution outside the United States or if you are a U.S. citizen who earned a degree abroad from an institution where the language of instruction was other than English.

International Student & Scholar Services

Students should send all documents related to the I-20 or DS-2019 directly to International Student and Scholar Services, not the Office of Enrollment Management. If admitted to Temple, ISSS will work with you to ensure that the proper paperwork is issued.

More In This Section