PA Certification applicants must complete an online application via the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) Teacher Information Management System (TIMS) - MyPDESuite. MyPDESuite is a streamlined system for processing and approving educator certification applications. ALL Temple applicants (except applications for Vocational credentials) must complete a Temple University Request for Recommendation form.
It is highly recommended that you apply for certification as soon as you meet all requirements. Test and program requirements change over time and are applied at the time of application.
How to Apply for Certification
Before You Begin
Familiarize yourself with these user guides and resources before you start your application. Entering incorrect or incomplete information in your TIMS application may significantly delay your certification approval!
- Temple University's STEP-BY-STEP TIMS-MyPDESuite User Guide
- PDE's Assistance with TIMS
Step 1: Register for a PDE Portal Account
Applicants must first REGISTER for a PDE Portal account. This will also give you access to ALL the resources available for educators on the PDE website. You can open a PDE account at any time.
- Log on to PDE at www.education.pa.gov
- Click on “Register” to create a new account. Allow 24 hours to activate a new account.
- Make a record of your username and password.
Step 2: Complete Your TIMS Application
When you are ready to start your TIMS application:
- Log in to your PDE portal at www.education.pa.gov
- Click on Teachers and Administrators and select Certifications from the drop down menu.
- To access the TIMS form, under “Resources” click on
- When you have finished your application, make a record of your PPID#.
Step 3: Request for Recommendation from Temple University Certification Office
- All applicants for certification, including those who completed a program in the past but did not file for certification at that time, must complete the online Temple University Request for Recommendation Form. This form will let the Certification Officer know that you have applied on TIMS and are now waiting for our verification and recommendation.
- You will need your Temple TUID number and TIMS PPID number to complete this form.
- You will have up to 3 months to complete your TIMS application. After 3 months, you MUST resubmit a new Temple University Request for Recommendation Form.
It is highly recommended that you complete Steps 2 & 3 at the same time!
What Happens Next
Before an application can be evaluated by PDE, the Certification Officer at Temple University must:
- Verify a candidate’s eligibility for certification
- Make a recommendation to PDE via the TIMS system.
Receiving Your Credentials
Applicants should check the status of their application via TIMS. Once approved, TIMS will generate the credentials electronically for printing or download by the applicant.
For more information about Teacher Certification in Pennsylvania, including links to help and support for using the TIMS application process, please visit the PDE web site at: http://www.education.pa.gov. If you have questions about your certification program at Temple, please contact the Office of Academic & Student Affairs: (215) 204-8011.
Temple University College of Education
Attn. Certification Office
150 Ritter Annex
1301 Cecil B Moore Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19122