To become certified in Pennsylvania, teachers must earn qualifying scores on the Basic Skill Test and on all Subject Area tests for specific instruction areas.
Basic Skills Assessment Options
- SAT or ACT Option
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators
- Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA)
Subject Area Competence: PECT and Praxis II
- Early Childhood Education - PECT PreK-4
- Special Education Concentraion - PECT Special Education PreK-8
- Middle Grades Education - Praxis II & Subject Concentration Test(s)
- Secondary Education - Praxis II Subject Area
- Career & Technical Education - Praxis II Subject Area
For more information see the Pennsylvania Department of Education's Testing Requirements website.
You can learn more about the PECT and Praxis exams by visiting Pennsylvania Educators Certification Tests (PECT) and ETS Praxis