Temple University's Step-by-Step Guide to TIMS-MyPDESuite
Certification Office, Temple University – A Step by Step Guide to the online Teacher Information Management System (TIMS) - MyPDESuite application form with some useful tips for a successful application.
Tip #1 - It is highly recommended that you apply for certification as soon as you meet all requirements. Test and program requirements change over time and are applied at the time of application. To avoid disappointment later on, apply as soon as you can. Even if you don’t plan to use the credential straight away…you have earned it, so don’t lose it!
Tip #2 - Read both the PDE’s guide to Submitting an application with TIMS and this guide before you start your application.
Know Before You Begin
- TIMS does not work well with Google Chrome. Use Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
- A completed TU Request for PA Certification Recommendation form is required in order for TU to Affirm and Recommend your TIMS application to PDE. Apply to TIMS, then immediately complete and submit The TU Request for Recommendation form so that your application can move forward in a timely manner.
- Especially for undergraduates who currently live on or around campus and use a Temple email account - if possible use your non -Temple permanent address and email. Your Temple contact information will soon be out of date.
- You must complete your certification program before applying to TIMS. Bachelor’s degree and Master's degree candidates can apply after receiving your final program Cumulative GPA (May, August or December). Post-baccalaureate non-degree candidates can apply during the month of program completion.
- TIMS does not routinely require transcripts - but if they need to confirm your credentials, they will contact you directly.
- You can submit your TIMS application after you've completed your program. You are advised to meet all tests required for your certification area at the time of application to avoid delays in processing. Any tests taken in PA will automatically be sent to the Pennsylvania Department of Education (You will be able to see which tests are on file with PDE via your TIMS application dashboard).
- Complete your Educator Preparation program at Temple.
- Apply on TIMS AND Submit a Request for Recommendation Form to the Certification Office.
- Your TIMS Application Status will say: Waiting for Educ. or Work Exp. Verification.
- Temple University is your Institute of Higher Education - IHE. The Certification Office will verify your credentials and make a recommendation to PDE - via the TIMS system.
- Your Application Status will change to Awaiting Evaluation.
- Wait in the PDE line for PDE to reach your application.
- PDE review.
- Certificate approved - Application Status will change to Approved.
PDE processing times vary, allow 4-12 weeks for your certificate to be approved. CHECK YOUR TIMS DASHBOARD FOR APPLICATION STATUS.
Ready to apply for your Certificate?
It is recommended that you have these notes available for reference as you work your way through the TIMS application.
- Log in to your PDE Portal at www.education.pa.gov
- From the Teachers and Administrators drop down menu, click on Certifications, select TIMS Certification Application System and log in.
- If this is your first time on the TIMS system you will need to establish your TIMS Profile.
- Welcome to TIMS – click on “New Credential”. Refer to the List of Credential Types, Subject Area Codes, and Major Subject Areas and Codes.
- Be ready to make your selections from the drop down menus - Select Credential Type and Subject Area(s).
- Answer YES when asked “Will a PDE approved education or other certification program in PA verify that you meet requirements for the certification for which you are applying?” Temple University will be verifying your credentials.
- Complete the following tabs in your TIMS application:
- Tab 1: Background Questions
- Tab 2: Demographic Details
TIMS Tab 3: Education Details
This section is very important, so take your time.
- Click Add New Credential
- Institution name – use the search tool to find Temple University. If more than one campus is offered select Main.
- Contact official: Tonya Thomas
- Degree Information – if you already have one or more degrees – from any institution - you must list these first.
- “Did you receive a degree at this institution?’ -- Options are YES or No.
Click YES if you've completed an Undergraduate or Master’s degree preparation program for this certificate application. New fields will appear.
- Under Degree, select Bachelors …or Masters.
- Date conferred – put month and year of your graduation.
- Use final cumulative GPA.
- Add Major Subject Area – select the major that most closely matches your major at Temple….refer again to the List of Credential Types, Subject Area Codes and Major Subject Areas and Codes.
- “Did you complete the PDE approved Educator program(s) for this subject area(s) at this institution?”…YES
- Click to add your program: Undergraduate or Graduate – Traditional
- Add attendance start and end dates - for end date use your graduation month and year
- You will have to complete these steps again if you are applying for 2 subject areas. E.g., dual-certificate PreK-4 and Special Education.
- Click Save and Next
- Complete TIMS Tab 4: Answer Survey Questions
- Complete TIMS Tab 5: Certification Details (unless you currently hold a PA certificate, this area will be blank).
If you click NO, you be redirected to new fields.
TIMS Tab 6: Proof Items
- You do not need to provide a transcript, unless specifically requested by PDE.
- Your tests scores should be listed in the “Documents on File” section. You can also check your test records from your TIMS dashboard – “Test Scores on File”.
- My tests are missing from my profile, but I did take them!
- The most common reasons are: You recently took the test and PDE has yet to receive the results from the testing agency or PDE may not be able to automatically make a match between your scores and your TIMS application. Why? Maybe you forgot to include PDE as a test score recipient; You changed your name between test time and your TIMS application; You did not provide a Social Security number or possibly you incorrectly transcribed Social Security numbers or date of birth etc. on your test application or TIMS application.
- You will need to call the TIMS Helpline to find out what your specific issue is and to seek a resolution. Failure to follow up with TIMS will delay your application.
Summary and Review
Carefully review your application, check off boxes for Code of Conduct. Check your TIMS application for accuracy before you click Submit and proceed to payment. TIMS has no mechanism for informing you if something is amiss. Inaccurate or missing information will delay your application. You must check everything.
Make sure you have applied as an IN - STATE applicant. Sometimes, applications are incorrectly routed to the TIMS OUT OF STATE applicant dashboard which means they won’t appear on Temple’s dashboard. Log out of TIMS. Log back in again and check under “Certificate/Request Type”. If Out of State appears, call TIMS to rectify.
Payment Processing and Application/Request Submission
Pay by credit card or money order. If you select money order you will need to print a copy of the COVERSHEET, sign and mail to PDE with your money order.
- The Coversheet -- you can print and /or save a copy of the Coversheet for your records but you will only need the Coversheet if:
- You are paying by money order or
- You have been asked to submit specific proof documents. If you only see “Other” then you do not need to send anything else and you do not need to submit a Coversheet.
- Click on “Process Payment and Submit Application/Payment.
You have successfully submitted an application to TIMS! But before you go, let’s make sure to tidy-up a few items:
- Log out of TIMS and log back in. You should be able to see your application. Your Application Status should say: Waiting for Educ. or Work Exp. Verification.
- If you can’t see it, we can’t see it. We won’t be able to recommend you. Please call TIMS for help.
Request a Recommendation from Temple University Certification Office
AFTER you have completed and submitted your TIMS application, you need to let the Temple University Certification Office know that that you have applied on TIMS and are now waiting for our verification and recommendation. All applicants for certification, including those who completed a program in the past but did not file for certification at that time, must complete the online Temple University Request for Recommendation Form.
TIP #3: You will need your Temple TUID number and TIMS PPID number to complete your Request for a Recommendation.
What Happens Next?
Please allow adequate time for us to review your records and your application in TIMS. Provided you have met all the requirements for certification AND submitted your Request for Recommendation form to Temple’s Certification Office, the Certification Office at TU will proceed as quickly as possible with your recommendation.
Temple’s Certification Officer cannot make a recommendation to TIMS until the degree has been officially conferred, or for non - degree applicants, your program has been completed. Degrees are officially conferred by the Office of the Registrar several weeks after the semester finishes. This is not the same date as Temple’s Degree ceremonies.
TIMS takes approximately 4-12 weeks to process an application from the time they receive our recommendation.
You can check your status at any time by logging on to your TIMS dashboard.