The College of Education and Human Development at Temple University has instituted a Clearances Policy for background checks of persons working with minors as mandated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in Act 24 of 2011, Act 34 of 1985, and Act 114 and Act 151 of 2006.

Please review the full clearance policy here: CEHD Clearance Policy PDF

Clearances Policy

The College of Education and Human Development’s Clearances Policy requires that all undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in College of Education and Human Development courses that require fieldwork submit updated copies of the following clearances to the College annually (each summer, by July 1st), via its online platform, EdPortal:

  1. Pennsylvania State Police Criminal History Record (Act 34),

  2. Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151),

  3. Federal Criminal History Background Check (FBI/fingerprint check) (Act 114), and

  4. P.P.D. (TB) Test (School Health regulations, 28 PA Code, Section 23.44).

For detailed information about these requirements, refer to the Pennsylvania Department of Education website

Students with an offense or “incident” listed on their record and indicated on one or more clearances should contact the Office of Field Placement immediately. The Office of Field Placement is located in the Shimada Resource Center in Ritter Annex 150, 215-204-8011.

Who needs clearances?

  • All undergraduate and graduate students in the following programs who will be enrolled in any course requiring fieldwork during the academic year, including  students who received approval to complete fieldwork / field projects with minors at a site in which they are currently employed full-time.:

    • Teacher preparation program (including programs in the College of Education and Human Development, Boyer College of Music and Dance, College of Public Health, College of Science and Technology, and Tyler School of Art and Architecture)

    • Students in the Education Minor

    • Applied Behavior Analysis 

    • Human Development and Community Engagement

    • Counseling Psychology

    • School Psychology programs

    • Other Temple students who intend to take College of Education and Human Development courses that include fieldwork 

A list of current College of Education and Human Development courses that require fieldwork, and therefore, clearances, can be found online.

Clearances must be valid through the entire academic year. All clearances are due by July 1st. If students are enrolled in summer courses, clearances are due by May 1st. No matter when students initially obtain their clearances, students are directed to update their clearances immediately following the spring semester (or each summer) so that they’re valid to begin coursework at the start of the summer sessions (and the subsequent fall and spring semesters) and to register in the Fall for Spring courses that require fieldwork and in the Spring for Summer and Fall courses that require fieldwork.

Consequences for Not Having Updated Clearances

After students submit their clearances on EdPortal, they will be checked by Office of Field Experiences staff and marked as “CLEARED” when accepted as complete. Students must have the note of “CLEARED” next to all four of their clearances in EdPortal before they can engage in any field-related activities.  Students without this note are prohibited from engaging in fieldwork until their clearances are approved, which may affect their course grade.  In some cases, students may not be allowed to continue in the course because of the delay in the start of their fieldwork cannot be completed due to clearances not being completed.

Students who engage in fieldwork without approved clearances will not receive credit for that fieldwork in the course, possibly fail the course, and will be subject to disciplinary action by the College of Education and Human Development for lack of professionalism.

Not having updated clearances uploaded to EdPortal and approved will also prevent the student from registering for courses the following semester that require fieldwork.

Obtaining Required Clearances

Review this step-by-step video guide to learn how to obtain your clearances: CEHD Clearance Video

    Obtaining Required Clearances

    Required Clearances

    Can be Obtained


    Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records (Act 34)*

    Volunteer clearances will not be accepted. Choose "employment" as the reason for obtaining the clearance.

    If done electronically, this clearance result prints out instantly.

    Please write down your control number. In the event you misplace the clearance, you can go back to the site to obtain a copy.


    717-425-5546 or 1-888-783-7972


    Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151)*

    You can complete a registration process and submit your clearance application online:
    Volunteer clearances will not be accepted. Choose "School Employee Governed by Public School Code: Applying as a school employee who is required to obtain background checks pursuant to Section 111 of the Public School Code" as the reason for obtaining the clearance.


    This report is sometimes emailed to you within a few minutes of submitting your application. New applications to the system can take up to a few weeks to process.


    Federal Criminal History Record (Act 114)

    IdentoGO is PA's fingerprint provider as of November 2017.

    Please follow these instructions carefully.

    1. Go to:
    2. Type in your service code (registering in PA as a student taking a course in a university teacher ed. program): 1KG6RT.
    3. On the next screen, select Schedule or Manage an Appointment. Complete the registration form,  select the photo ID you will bring to your appointment (most select Driver's License), 
    4. Select a location to be fingerprinted- enter Special Location Access Code SP-TEMPLEMONT (see pictured below).  On the last page select the Walk In option.
    5. Log onto this link  to schedule your appointment with Temple University Campus Safety Services. 
    6. Take a print-out of your registration and your selected photo ID with you to your appointment. You must bring with you a state issued ID, for example, a Driver's License or Passport and your Social Security card.   
    7. You can only pay for your fingerprinting service at Temple with a Credit or Debit card. VISA, American Express, Master Card and Discover cards are all accepted. The fee is $22.60, which will be charged to your credit card at the time of your appointment with Temple Campus Safety Services. 


    P.P.D. Tuberculin Test

    Student Health Services:

    Go to your primary care physician or Student Health Services 215-204-7500
    1700 N. Broad Street, 4th floor, Philadelphia, PA 19121

    If you use a primary care physician we do not have a special form. Physician letterhead or prescription pad with your name, date and results will be approved.


    Lists each clearance with instructions for how to obtain it, as well as any required fees.

    How to Submit Your Clearances to Temple

    Students must submit their clearances online at Edportal (login as student and then select "Clearances" from the list.) Clearances must be scanned individually to upload.  Need Help? See detailed Instructions for Uploading Your Clearances.  

    A student with an offense/incident listed on his/her clearance(s) must also immediately submit a hard copy of the clearance that lists the offense/incident to the Office of Field Placement.  The Office is located in the Shimada Resource Center -- Ritter Annex 150. Clearances with offenses/incidents require additional review and approval.

    Questions and Assistance

    • For general questions about clearances, please contact the SRC at 215-204-8011.

    • For questions about fieldwork required for  a course, please contact your course instructor.

    • For other questions related to field experiences in the College of Education and Human Development, please contact the Office of Field Placement by email ( or phone: (215) 204-8011.

    About Content on This Page

    You will need a PDF viewer or the appropriate version of Adobe® Acrobat® Reader to view, navigate, and print PDF files. For more assistance, see About this Web Site.